Alok & Sonia.... (others too)
Sushmita
2005-11-04 14:37:11 UTC
if you are reading the board... thought I'll share this with you:

A while back I had posted an article about the Prime Minister,
Manmohan Singh apologizing to the Sikh community for 1984 Riots. And
at that point I raised the question of bringing back old memories;
little did I know that this event resulted in a lot of bitterness
among Sikh community and especially people from Delhi. Both of you
had thrown some light on this event and I read more about it later.

Last night at the IAAC film festival, I went to see a movie
called "AMU" by Shonali Bose. The story line revolves around a girl
who comes to Delhi to find her "real" roots (she is adopted by her
Indian parents) and wants to learn more about her biological parents.
Moving from the village that she was born to the slums of Delhi, the
movie unfolds around the "1984" riots. And eventually a lot of light
is thrown on this event.

I personally think both of you (and others) should watch this movie.
I am sure you can relate to it very well.
It was very well made and the actors did a great job.
After the movie there was a panel discussion and the directors say
that even after 21 yrs this issue has not been addressed in the right
manner. Every year the government installs a special panel to
investigate but no results are ever produced.
The director also said that before this movie was released in India,
the censorship board rated it "A" and when asked why, they responded
saying, "they didn't want to go back to the past and rekindle
terrible memories and would rather forget what happened". She said it
is sad that such big riots in which more than 5000 people were killed
has been neglected in history.

Well I was very moved by the whole experience last night and felt
that people of my generation should be more aware of Indian history
(and I don't mean by text books).

Thought I'll share this with you and see your reaction.

-Sush

PS: If you've come till hear thanks for reading :)

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/AmOolB/TM
Sushmita
Alok Sharma
2005-11-09 19:47:33 UTC
I am not from Delhi. But Delhi is not the only place where this
violence happened. No part of north India was untouched. And it was
not just congress workers that were responsible for this violence.
Even sections of BJP and other hindutva elements participated in
this.

The day when Indira was murdered in 1984, I was in an NCC ( a
paramilitary student wing) camp and we heard the news over the camp
PA system. It was an Indian army run camp and the mood was initially
distictly that of hate, till people realized that we had a few sikhs
amongst us including our very own camp commandant ( a Colonel ranked
officer).

Ideologically, I have always been much closer to the traditional
Indian National Congress than any other political party in India. But
even I was shocked when after two days of carnage, Rajiv Gandhi said
on doordarshan " when a big tree falls, there are always a few
casualities".

No doubt, Indira's murder shocked India even more than 9/11 shocked
America. But the mass murder of innocent sikhs that followed really
holds a mirror to us even after a generation. I am not sure even if a
single person will ever be brought to justice for those deaths.
Sushmita
2005-11-09 20:25:02 UTC
Hey Alok,

thanks for the response...I knew you were not from Delhi...but also
guessed that you would have something to contribute on this subject.
It was nice reading your response.
thanks again!

-Sush
Post by Sushmita
saying, "they didn't want to go back to the past and rekindle
terrible memories and would rather forget what happened". She
said
Post by Alok Sharma
it